What is Mental and Physical Wellbeing?
It is very important that we all strive to keeping as healthy as we can both mentally and physically. Doing so encompasses a number of factors, including:
- Try and keep stress to a manageable level. Often aspects of stressful situations are outside of your control, but trying to focus on those elements that you do have control over, and can make decisions over prevents feelings of hopeless and helplessness to take hold.
- Connecting with others. Having people in your social network that you can spend time with, call on for support if needed is a big factor in keeping mentally well. It also helps build resilience for those tougher times.
- Reducing exposure to problematic relationships. Relationships that are abusive in any way have a big impact on mental and physical wellbeing. Those relationships that are highly critical and negative are not good for keeping well mentally.
- At difficult times try and find helpful coping strategies that are good for you in the long term (e.g., relaxation and problem solving techniques). Avoiding things like alcohol, smoking or other drugs will help you recover from difficult times much better.
- Having a good nights sleep. Sleep disruption can have significant mental (and physical) health consequences including anxiety and depression. Having a regular routine of going to bed around the same time and getting up around the same time contributes to well being. Ongoing sleep disturbance shouldn’t be ignored and professional help should be sought.
- Exercise has been found to promote brain function through impacting on a number of brain chemicals. Studies of physical activity have shown participants have better mood states, improved quality of life and physical functioning.
- There is emerging work that is suggesting a link between diet and mental well being. Poor diets have been associated with difficulties with memory and attention. Diets that seem to be most beneficial from a mental health perspective is food that is unprocessed and is rich in nutrients.